How to make Baked Sweet Potato Patties Recipe
Jessica's Vegetarian and vegan friendly Sweet Potato Patties.
- Vegan and Vegetarian
- Servings: 5 patties
- 300g cooked chickpeas (available from Blissful's Zero Waste Section)
- 400g cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (diced)
- 2 heaped tsps. cumin
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. flour of choice
- 8-10 sundried tomatoes (finely chopped)
- Large handful of fresh coriander (chopped)
- Salt & fresh pepper
- Tiger Rice bread buns (available at Blissful Health Food Shop)
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut in half, add them to boiling water and cook for about 45 minutes until soft.
- Sauté the red onion and garlic in some oil until soft and lightly brown. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C (gas mark 7). If using a fan setting pre-heat at 200°C.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, add it to a large bowl together with the cooked chickpeas, sautéed red onion and garlic, cumin, olive oil, flour, sundried tomatoes, fresh coriander, salt, and fresh pepper.
- Use a potato masher to combine the ingredients and form a mixture. Add salt along the way if desired.
- Form the mixture into 5 patties.
- Once the patties are formed, brush some oil on both sides and place them on a lined baking tray.
- Place the patties inside the preheated oven, and bake for about 40-45 minutes, turning once.
- Once the pattiesare golden brown, remove them from the oven.
- Cut a TigerRice bread bun in half and grill until lightly golden brown. Build your own burger using the bread bun and any other toppings.
- Store leftover patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Serve the patties with your favourite toppings! Add ingredients such as mixed leafy greens, tomatoes, onions, avocado, sprouts, pickles, ketchup, hummus.
- The sweet potato patties may be served with homemade potato fries or a simple fresh side salad.
When cooking raw chickpeas:
Add 150g of raw chickpeas to a bowl, cover with water and let them soak overnight. Drain the soaked chickpeas and add them to a pan. Add cold water to the pan and make sure there is twice the volume of the chickpeas. Bring the water to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer the chickpeas for 45 mins, until soft and tender. Finally, rinse the excess water.